Visiting your Vancouver orthodontist periodically for adjustments is an important part of your orthodontic treatment if you have braces. Here is a bit about what you can expect when you visit us for a braces adjustment.
In order for your braces to gradually move your teeth into their corrected positions, they will need to be adjusted throughout your treatment. That's why you will need to attend adjustment appointments frequently while you have braces. Although you will get used to these appointment in no time, we know that your first adjustment appointment may feel a little intimidating. To help put you at ease here is what you can expect when you arrive at our Vancouver office for your adjustment appointment.
- The orthodontic assistant will remove the elastics that hold your archwire on to the brackets of your braces.
- Next, your archwire will be removed.
- Your orthodontist will examine your teeth to assess how your treatment is progressing.
- If any parts of your braces are broken they will be replaced.
- Next, your new archwire and elastics will be put in place. (If this is your first adjustment appointment this step may be a little painful, but future adjustments should be less uncomfortable.)
- Now is the time to let your orthodontist know if anything is poking you or causing any discomfort. Be sure to speak up, there is no need to tolerate poking wires. Your orthodontist will be able to correct the issue right away.
- That's it, your adjustment is complete.
- All you need to do now is book your next adjustment appointment with us.
Following an adjustment appointment it's not unusual to feel some discomfort, but it should wear off after a few days. Try icing your face periodically, or take an over-the-counter painkiller, and stick to soft foods if your mouth is a little sore after your appointment.