You and your braces are going to be together for awhile, so why not have a little fun and switch-up your elastic colours every time you visit your Vancouver orthodontist for an adjustment?! Here's a few tips on how to decide which colour to pick next time around.
How do I change the colour of my braces elastics?
Your braces are made of several different parts that each have a unique job in the task of straightening your teeth. One these essential parts is the elastic tie bands.
Orthodontic tie elastics (also called ligatures) are placed around each of your brackets to hold the archwire in place within the bracket slot.
After awhile your elastics will lose their stretchiness, which is why your orthodontist will swap them for new elastics at each of your adjustment appointments. That's when you get your chance to change up your smile by choosing a new colour, or colours, for your braces.
Tie elastics come in a rainbow of colours from discreet colours like silver to bright and flashy reds, blues, and pinks. Changing your elastic colours allows you to change up the look of your braces every time you visit us.
What colour should I choose?
Not sure which colour(s) you should choose? The following tips may help you to decide.
- Avoid brown, black and some shades of green; these might make it look like you have food stuck in your teeth.
- Avoid white since white can cause your teeth to look yellow and discoloured.
- Pick your favorite colour...just because it's your favourite colour!
- Choose the colours of your favourite sports team and flash that smile each time you cheer!
- Pick your school colours to show your loyalty to your school.
- Choose a colour that suits your complexion so that you don't feel self-conscious when you smile.
- Colours that compliment your eye colour can make your smile extra special.